Food Standards Scotland said some consumers had felt unwell after drinking macb strawberry & kiwi flavoured bottled water.
The agency added the investigation had found a strong odour, an unpleasant taste and the presence of mould and yeast, causing spoilage.
Macb has withdrawn some products from the market. The firm would not say where items where made, if production had been stopped or if it would continue working with its suppliers.
Users on social media said the drink ‘smelt like paint thinner’.
Reports of consumers feeling unwell
Macb Strawberry & Kiwi still flavoured water in 1.5L and 330ml bottles with best before date August 2018 is affected.
“Food Standards Scotland is aware of an investigation involving macb strawberry & kiwi flavoured bottled water following reports by consumers of feeling unwell after drinking it, and is liaising with the food business and relevant enforcement authorities.
“Macb has voluntarily instigated a withdrawal of some of their products from sale. We will continue to work with the business regarding this investigation and further information will be issued as soon as it becomes available.”
We have an issue with Strawberry & Kiwi 1.5l & 330ml bottles, BB 08/18.Despite odour & taste,it’s harmless.Other bottles/flavours unaffected— macbwater (@macbwater) June 22, 2017
Cott Beverages bought Sangs and brands including macb in 2012.
Macb: Drink is not harmful
The firm would not answer any of our questions but said it was made aware of a quality issue relating to the macb Strawberry & Kiwi flavoured drink in a statement.
“We are aware of a quality issue relating to our Macb Strawberry & Kiwi still flavoured water in 1.5L and 330ml bottles, with a best before end date of August 2018.
“Please be assured that whilst the drink maybe have a strong odour and be unpleasant to taste, this is not harmful and our other macb bottle sizes and flavours are unaffected.
“We take our responsibility as a quality soft drink manufacturer very seriously and we are removing affected products from sale.
“We apologise to anyone who has received a bad experience with any of our drinks and once againwe would like to reassure you that this is not a food safety issue and the product is harmless.”